Hello! My name is Niquita, I am a Lower Cayuga woman from Six Nations of Grand River. I was born and raised in Ottawa, ON, Canada. I graduated from Willis College in 2020, and I studied Indigenous community service work - I previously worked as a crisis counsellor for Minwaashin Lodge from August 2021- April 2022. I use indigenous teachings and knowledge to incorporate with healing tactics in the westernized social service world.
- I have graduated in 2019 from the Canadian Roots Indigenous youth policy School, as a student who worked on a capstone project working to develop a policy regarding the issues indigenous women and girls + 2spirit individuals are faced with in Canada also known as the MMIWG2S crisis and how it affects Indigenous peoples and all the aspects that contributes towards it.
I was crowned Miss Multicultural Canada 2020! It was an honour to represent myself as Miss Lower Cayuga- my reserve of Six nations of the grand river, well presenting my beading, jingle dress dancing, traditional drumming in a virtual pageant for everyone to view.♥️
On my free time I enroll myself in multiple extra curricular activities and classes, symposiums and panels. I very much enjoy attending these types of opportunities because It is a great learning experience and a awesome way to network and make real life connections.
Here is a list of events I have had the opportunity of attending :
- IndigenousDiabetes Health Circle- Honouring our Traditional Foods
- Death Doula Series, Blackbird Collective
- Moontime Teachings
- Plant Medicine Teachings
- Unfiltered Series, Boundaries, Self Care, Awareness and Safety
UNDRIP- United Nations Declaration
of Rights of Indigenous Peoples,
Speaker & Discussion Leader for Youth Input-2020
Deloitte – What Canada will look like
In 2030 Youth Symposium Speaker-2020
Youth Summit, panelist-2020,2021,
- Indigenous Women's Artisan Business Symposium 2022
- Community Support Worker Training Development Session 2022
- Care for Caregivers 2022
- CANDO EDYS Planning Comitee-2022
- Aunties on the Road Full Spectrum Doula Training -2022
Being an indigenous artist and crafter has a lot of opportunities at the tip of my fingertips through Indigenous organizations providing learning opportunities through educational videos, traditional & cultural craft knowledge workshops and teaching gatherings & workshop kits all available to participate from in the comfort of my home, I am able to learn something new everyday, and I love being able to teach others my skills as well ! Feel free to check out my Article and Tutorial Link section on my website.
I am a sponge for learning, always busy and give my best every day.
I hope this gave you a better understanding of who I am, what I desire to accomplish and become as an Indigenous woman.
Miigwetch, Nia:wen, Welalin, Thank you
- [♥] Onkwehonwe women
- [♥] Our duties are endless, and we strive to be there for our youth at all ages.